Thank you, Nakisa, for adding your term paper topic proposal.
This could be an interesting topic and should provide a good opportunity to practise organising and delivering research-based content in the manner that will be expected when you write your bachelor thesis.
Please go ahead with your preparations but keep in mind the assignment requirements set out here: Term paper instructions. For example, you will need to
- include some reference to academic studies carried out on your topic and empirical evidence (i.e., facts and figures from reliable sources)
- critically evaluate and apply what you glean from your literature
review and not only reproduce what you have read.
The word limit for this term paper has been significantly reduced so that you can focus greater attention on the conventions of academic writing that we are reviewing in our lessons and outlined on this page: Features of academic writing. Further resources that may be of help are available here: Academic writing – Online resources.
As Steven Pinker reminds us, decisions concerning formality are key to making the right impression when writing academic texts:
Using an informal style when a formal style is called for results in prose that seems breezy, chatty, casual, flippant. Using a formal style when an informal style is called for results in prose that seems stuffy, pompous, affected, haughty. Both kinds of mismatch are errors.
Bear in mind, however, that the overarching aim should be clarity, and as Helen Sword reminds us, if the effort we put into “polishing and tweaking” our texts seems “laborious and slow” we should remember that
stylish academic writers spend time and energy on their sentences so their readers won’t have to!
Here are some notes on your proposal text that may be of some help:
Selfemployement– How to manage yourself as a selfemployed person to be successful => How to manage yourself and be successful as a self-employed person
- I had studied in my first semester a topic in BAIM about competence and selfmanagement => In my first semester on the BAIM study programme, I studied competence and self-management
- In my working hours I observe => In my work, I observe
- lot of negative facts, which leads to various problems => lot of negative facts that lead to various problems
- deal with it more => examined it further
- the work-life balance topic has become widespread. => work-life balance has become more widely considered.