This page outlines how to prepare for the student consulting component in the Business English course examination, which is structured as follows:
Choice of topic
The first step is to think of ONE of the following that relates to your work, company or business sector that you would like to write about:
- A process
- A problem
- A project
- A product or service
- Something else you find interesting (please be specific)
If you would like feedback on your choice of topic, the second step is to tell your tutor what you would like to write about. To do this, you should do the following:
- prepare a short text (maximum 50 words) introducing your chosen topic and explaining why you have chosen it. DO NOT write the full text.
- Go to the Student consulting topics forum in the LMS.
- Add your text by using the Add a new discussion topic button.
Your tutor will add a reply with feedback on your topic description.
Prepare your text
The next step is to prepare the text you would like to submit in the examination. To do this you should do the following:
- Check the feedback on your choice of topic (see above) that you receive from your tutor.
- Do any research that is necessary to learn more about your topic.
- Look up any vocabulary that is needed.
- Plan the text (make sure you use the structure given below).
- Prepare the first draft of your text.
- Prepare the final draft of your text.
In the exam
In the exam, you will need to produce a text consisting of a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of 300 words in which you need to do the following:
- Briefly describe your research topic and why you chose it (e.g., how it relates to your work, your company or industry).
- Summarise your findings (e.g., the results of your research on a process, problem, etc.). This should be the main part of your text.
- Briefly conclude with a proposal, with a comment, recommendation or perhaps some speculation on the future as appropriate to your chosen topic.