Here’s a selection of resources that I’ve accumulated over the years. I’m sure there are lots of other resources to help with pronunciation teaching. So if you do know of any gems, please let me know and I’ll add them here.
Resources on teaching pronunciation
- The power of pronunciation in Business English
John Hughes shares some business English classroom ideas for teaching pronunciation.
- Pronunciation Skills
Series of video tutorials about pronunciation, pronunciation learning and how to teach pronunciation from Adrian Underhill.
- ELF Pronunciation
Website with training videos, articles and teaching resources.
Lesson and activity ideas
An activity to help learners with connected speech and designed to provide extra listening practice between lessons.
- The Sounds of English
Series of lessons on the BBC Learning English website.
- How to do a needs analysis with a multilingual class
A lesson plan for conducting a needs analysis that includes a focus on pronunciation.
- Mark Hancock Annie McDonald
Free downloadable worksheets teacher’s notes, images, audio and video files from ELT authors Mark Hancock and Annie McDonald.
Five, short online tutorials on intonation.
- Grammar with films and songs’ videos: focus on weak forms
Series of video-based activities for teaching weak forms.
Online tools and apps
- Type IPA phonetic symbols – online keyboard
- Phonemic Chart Keyboard
- Sounds Right
British Council app for improving pronunciation and learning how to read phonemic symbols.
- Phonetics focus
A range of resources for improving pronunciation and knowledge of phonetics. Also available in App Store.
- The sounds of English and the International Phonetic Alphabet
- International Phonetic Association
Materials intended for native speakers but could be useful for language learners too.
- How to Develop a Perfect Speaking Voice
A wikiHow tutorial with advice on developing intonation and diction. Maybe useful, for example, when helping learners with presentation skills.
- Vocal Power for Your Pitch
A video tutorial that focusses on intonation and variation. Again, could be useful for helping learners with presentation skills.
- Talking Too Fast During Job Interviews
- Phone Etiquette: Pitch, Tone & Inflection
Video tutorial aimed at improving telephone communication.
If you have any suggestions for additions to this page, please post a comment below.