Go to the Features of academic writing page and do the following:
- Do the ‘Formality‘ quiz and read the explanatory notes that follow it.
To help you acquire new business and general vocabulary, do the following:
- Use the word list at the back of your coursebook Career Express (B2) 2nd Edition (page 134). This will be helpful in our lessons, but can also be used to learn the vocabulary in the coursebook.
- Make a list of new vocabulary from Unit 10.
- Use your preferred method for learning the new vocabulary (e.g. the Quizlet app, a vocabulary notebook or cards).
Use your coursebook – Career Express (B2) 2nd Edition – to do the following:
- Go to page 90, Section 9 Work skills: Accommodation. and do the following:
- Read the definition in the box and then do activity A. See the Answer key below to check your answers.
- Do activity B on page 91 on your own rather than in pairs. See the Answer key below to check your answer.
- Do activity C on page 91 and check your answers on page 129.
- Go to page 92, Case study: Start-up with a heart. Do activity B. See the Answer key below to check your answers.
Use this link – Online exercises – to do the following Career Express online exercises:
- Unit 10: Vocabulary practice 1 – 6
- Unit 10: Grammar practice 1 – 6
- Unit 10: How it works: 1 -2
- Unit 10: Getting it right: 1
Section 9 Work skills: Accommodation
1C / 2A / 3E / 4D / 5B
To do this you needed to do the following:
- Check the meaning of unknown words.
- Identify words or phrases that someone with a lower level of English may not understand, for example:
crucial / whole population / great majority /
i.e. / engage / commercial transactions.
- Break down the sentence into a shorter, simpler sentence.
Companies are an important part of our lives, so it’s important that we know if they’re doing the right thing or not.
See page 129
Section 10 Case study: Start-up with a heart
- a wicker laundry basket (Note that question 1 should be "What item did Emily Mathieson buy that got her interested in goods produced by craftspeople with learning disabilities?")
- through a crowdfunding campaign
- female refugees from Syria
- two days
- more confidence in their work