Use this activity to practise the two types of grammar questions you will have in the final exam. And use the notes that follow the quiz to see the explanations for each question.
Carefully read the instructions for each of the 10 questions.
Here are the explanations for each of the 10 answers:
- I usually .......... (work) from home on Tuesdays.
The present simple ('work') is needed because this is routine ('usually ... on Tuesdays').
- We .......... (not/speak) to many potential customers at the moment.
The present continuous ('are not speaking') is needed because this a temporary situation signalled by the phrase 'at the moment'.
- If I study .......... (hard), I should receive a good grade for the Business Basics module.
You would expect to use an adverb in combination with the verb 'study' but in fact, the adjective 'hard' is used to indicate a lot of effort.
- Your last email was .......... (hard) to read than the first one because it had very long sentences.
The adjective 'hard' has only one syllable so its comparative form is 'harder'.
- In 2019, I .......... (work) for a manufacturing company in Wolfburg.
Here, the past simple 'worked' is needed as there is a specific time reference '2019' (Ein bestimmter Zeitpunkt).
The past continuous would also be possible for the same reason, but it would normally be followed by a second sentence with a main verb in the past simple tense.
- I .......... (learn) a lot on this course so far.
The present perfect 'have learned' is needed because the phrase 'so far' implies a period that reaches up to the present (ein Zeitraum der bis in die Gegenwart reicht).
- If the supplier .......... (not/deliver) the trackers before the summer starts, our staff will be disappointed.
The present simple (does not deliver) is needed because this is a first conditional sentence which is built as follows: [If + present simple] + [will + infinitive].
- ......... ?
The present simple of the auxiliary verb 'does' is needed to form the question: 'Does your company usually sell its products abroad?'
- Who .......... ?
Because of the phrase 'last week', the past simple is needed to form the question: Who did you work with last week?
- What .......... ?
The past simple ('had') is needed to complete the second conditional question: What would you do if you had enough money? [If + past simple] + [will + infinitive]
If you prefer working offline with a book, Essential Business Grammar Builder provides good B1 level grammar explanations, exercises and tests. You can view the book on Amazon by clicking on this image below: